Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"Go-Go Gadget . . . Human Being!"

I've discovered something awesome on my APPLE computer! I can activate a setting that will allow me to talk to my computer and it dialogues (to an extent) back to me. But . . . not only does it talk back to me, it will do as I command it to do. For example, I can say to itl, "Apple, open up iTunes," and it will open up my iTunes folder. HOW SWEET IS THAT!? It reminds me of one of those sci-fi movies like Star Wars where the androids dialogue with the humans, but this is cooler because it is REAL LIFE!

I was messing around with setting this cool thing up, and I started thinking. Why did God create Humans? Davey, how in the world did you think of that while setting up something on your computer? Try to follow me on this one. God could have created anything He wanted and He created human beings. But not only did He create human beings, He created us with a free will, knowing full well that we could (and would) be disobient to Him. So why did he create us in the first place if he knew we were going to suck at life?

God wanted companionship. He didn't NEED it, He's got community within himself (remember the whole trinity thing - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all in one?) But God WANTED companionship. He wanted to create something that He could call His own creation and love it unconditionally! But in order to have that love he had to give us the free choice to love Him back. He could have created us like this Apple computer, where everything I tell it to do it does. But then we would be a bunch of machines running around doing "God's will" without any consent. We would be FORCED to love God back.

If you force your girlfriend/boyfriend to love you back, what kind of love is that? NONE! (That's called rape, b.t.w., and it's against the law!) Love is an uncoerced, unforced commitment to someone! In order for us to fully carry out God's intention for us and give Him glory in life, we HAD to have the CHOICE to love Him back. Could God have created us without free will to accept or reject Him? HE'S GOD, HE CAN DO ANYTHING! (B.T.W. I hate those questions like "Can God create a rock so big that He can't lift it?" I just want to smack whoever said that and tell him to shut up! But then I remember that I'm a Christian . . . hehe.) But He didn't create us that way because He knew that the reward is far greater than the risk! Sure, God risks that some people are going to reject His free offer of Salvation (personally I wouldn't turn down a free offer at $100, let alone the free offer to ETERNAL LIFE!), but He is also going to find many people who accept His free gift and that is 1,000 times more rewarding to Him (even more that 1,000)!

As much as I love this new thing I figured out on my computer, it reminds me that I'm soooooo glad that I'm not a computer. I'm sooooo glad that I have the free will. You may take this the wrong way, but I couldn't serve a God that didn't give me the free will to love and serve Him (well I guess I would be b/c I wouldn't have a choice, but you get the picture).

No comments: