Tuesday, March 14, 2006

E-6

Sorry, once again, for not posting anything yesterday. I've been totally swamped with work. I know, I know . . . I should have done all this work last week when we were on Spring Break but what can I say, I'm a procrastinator. Oh, BTW, it was brought to my atttention a couple days ago that I misspelled disgusting (I spelled it "discusting") and I just want you to know that the problem has been remedied. I would also like you to know that I'm a TERRIBLE speller. I was disqualified from the 5th grade spelling bee for misspelling the word "extinct" (that is how you spell it right?). I know it makes me look less educated but try to bear with me and I apologize in advance if I misspell a word. I'M NOT PERFECT!

So, that being said, let's try to make some sense out of this whole SIN and "Sanctification" thing. Here's some verses I've run across lately that might help us clear some things up:

1 John 2:1-6
Romans 6:13-14
Colossians 3:10
1 John 4:7-8
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
I Corinthians 6:11
II Thessalonians 2:13-15
Romans 12:1-2

(Check these verses out for yourselves - they're awesome!)

In order to understand this "Sanctification" thing (being free from the guilt of sin) we must understand that it is not about what we can physically DO to attain salvation and eternal life. It is ALL about what Jesus has DONE for us on the Cross. By dying for us He offers us the FREE gift of forgiveness and grace (to see more about this click HERE). But as believers Jesus has expectations for us. It is spelled out clearly in the Bible that God cannot co-exist with SIN. Our relationship with Jesus Christ is negatively affected by our SIN. Why do you think we feel convicted when we SIN? Because it is a part of our lives that Jesus wants to get rid of so He can have full leadership in our lives.

"Sanctification" is a required thing! It is the growth as Christians that we experience in Christ. Jesus loves us too much to let us stay the same! So after we become a follower of Him, He begins immediately to work at getting rid of SIN in our lives because He knows that SIN leads to pain and suffering. So why do seasoned Christians still SIN? I'll answer that question with another question. Why do seasoned Major League Baseball veterans make errors? Because baseball CANNOT BE PERFECTED! (Believe me, I know. I've been playing baseball for 17 years and I still make errors all the time! "E-6" is scribbled ALL over our score cards!) Likewise, the Christian life here on earth CANNOT BE PERFECTED. We will never get to where we are perfect human beings (never sinning). That's the cool thing about Grace. Jesus offers us eternal life even though we don't deserve it and we will NEVER deserve it!

So why does the Bible say that we have to be "Sanctified" if Jesus knows we will never be perfect. BECAUSE SANCTIFICATION IS NOT A PERFECTION OF PERFORMANCE! IT IS A PERFECTION OF INTENTION!! It is a CONTINUALLY "perfect" relationship with Jesus! Let me give you an example. I would consider my parents to have a perfect relationship with each other because no matter what, they will never leave, abandon, deny, or betray each other. No matter how they may FEEL about each other on a given day, they have COMMITTED to sacrificing their own personal interests for the other's needs and interests. And while my dad may not DO everything right for my mom (and vice-versa) and while he makes mistakes every once in a while (after all he is human), his heart is in the right place and his intentions are PERFECT. That's what makes the relationship perfect; it is not anything he DOES or fails to DO but it is his commentment to love to my mom no matter what!

If Jesus has truly won our hearts, we are being Sanctified every day. Jesus will continue to work in our lives, pointing out things that He may want us to get rid of (SINs in particular but really anything that is taking priority over Him in our lives). I promise, the more you fall in love with Jesus, and the closer you come in your relationship with Him, the less you will WANT to SIN. Here are some practical ways we can avoid or flee from the SIN that keeps us frustrated:

LAY LOW- Stay away from situations that may lead you commit those SINS. If it's sexual SIN, stay away from those situations where you know you will be tempted. This principle applies to ALL SIN!

PRAY- Ask God to help you conquer that particular SIN. He doesn't want us to be defeated by SIN and He offers us power and strength to defeat SIN. Prayer is our battlefied against SIN. GO TO WAR ON YOUR KNEES!

"WORD" TO YOUR MIND- Stay in the Word (keep reading the Bible). I know that sounds very Sunday School-ish, but getting to know God more really makes us fall more in love with Him and be less inclined to SIN.

S.O.S.- Form a group of accountability partners (same-gender accountability partners please!). An accountability group is a close-knit group of Christians where everyone can feel safe sharing their struggles with sin and everyone can help each other out in their walks with Christ. Challenge each other; Pray with each other; Struggle with each other. Christianity was NOT meant to be done on alone. Keep each other accountable!

BASEBALL UPDATE: We had a great discipleship meeting tonight. Not as many numbers, but a great discussion! It's so much fun and so fulfilling to be ministering to these guys. I have the best job in the world. Too bad I have to waste time playing baseball and I can't just talk to these guys about Jesus 24/7 (HaHa, just a little joke. I love playing ball, and it has given me opportunities I wouldn't normally have).

No comments: