Tuesday, June 06, 2006

CORRUPT!

Let me just say that kids these days are CORRUPT! I sound like one of those old men who are always walking around complaining how morally corrupt every generation is except mine. HA! The only difference is I don't wear dentures, I don't play chess in the park everyday, I don't feed the pigeons, I don't make frequent arrangements to pick up my Meds, and I concede that my generation is corrupt too.

Let me explain. I was hanging out with a bunch of 4th graders this weekend. Keep in mind that these kids are in 4th grade. We took them bowling Friday night and I had 4 kids in my car with me. Naturally I'm thinking I'll be the cool college guy that lets them listen to "cool Christian" music. So I start playing stuff like Relient K, Grits, Kutless, Switchfoot, etc. All of a sudden I hear this one of those little snot-nosed pip-squeaks yell out from the back, "This stuff is lame!" LAME!? Time-out. I consider myself to have a pretty good taste of music and a pretty good hold on the music industry and a 4th grader is telling me that my music is LAME?! UNBELIEVABLE?

So I chuckle and ask what kind of music he likes. He then informs me that he likes Greenday, Young Geezy, The Franchise Boys, Eminem, Nelly . . . you get the point.

So we get to the bowling ally and the only music that is played is secular MTV music . . . unedited. These kids are singing every word to every song ("Lean Wid It, Rock Wid It," "In Da Club," "Grills") THESE KIDS ARE IN 4TH GRADE! I didn't even know what MTV was in 4th grade! I listened to Rebecca St. James, Steven Curtis Chapman, Carman, Michael W. Smith. Talk about lame!

These 4th graders are so disrespectful too! I would never have talked to adults the way these kids talked to us! I wonder where they learn this stuff!

I wonder why our world is so messed up. Read Kenneth's blog. He'll tell you! He watched the news for about 12 hours the other day and witnessed first-hand how screwed up things really are in this world. I've figured it out! I know why!

Bad

Parenting!

You thought I was going to say MTV right? It's not their fault. They're just pointing the camera at what people want to see and at what parents are letting be shown in their house. They're doing their job.

It's bad parenting. And I would blog and tell people how to be parents but I have NO IDEA! Why? Because I'm not a parent. Call my parents up and ask them. They take people to school on that stuff!

Amanda Update:
Another great day with Amanda on Sunday. After her graduation we hung out at different open houses all day messing around with little kids, jousting, and throwing water and smoothies all over each other. We made a campfire Sunday night and sat under the stars by the fire just talking about our dreams and aspirations for life and just giggling with each other.

5 comments:

Roger McKenzie said...

Important insights, the world has changed for kids too. Poor parenting or a lack of parenting has become the norm. A couple of generations ago, people said that reaching high school students was the key to shaping lives. A generation ago the focus shifted to middle school students as being at the most strategic point in life. Now many contend that the key time to reach kids with the gospel to shape their lives is in 4th-5th grade.
Great reflections on your experiences, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Davey, you must be my brother from another mother!! LOL! But really, I've been catching up on your blogs cuz I haven't read them in a minute, but this one really hits home with me. I do a lot of work with the kids at my church as well, and it's sad to say that our kids are so misguided and corrupt. And you're right, bad parenting is the explanation. We have too many kids having kids! And several of these young parents are CLUELESS about God!! So, if they're clueless, how in the ham and cheese do you expect them to teach their kids?! Now, I do believe in balance...this is a new generation of young people who are so bombarded by pop culture, that for some of them, the only way you're going to reach them is if you show them that Christ is just as hip as Young Jeezy. But more importantly, we have to reach these parents...someway, somehow, we have to get this generation to understand that being a Chrisitian doesn't mean boring, it means life!! P.s. I want you to check out this website of this Christian collegiate ministry I'm a part of down here called House of Judah www.hojministries.com...tell me what you think and if you have ideas, let me know. We're trying to broaden our scope beyond just college kids and reach the youth as well. Let me know! Holla!

Anonymous said...

Great insight! Pray for us as we are in the midst of trying to reach parents and their children! It's a tough job, and scary. We need to somehow show them how real and awesome Jesus is, and have them fall totally in love with him - then maybe they will want to please HIM and not themselves. However, this is such a selfish, "me-centered" world that these kids AND parents live in, that it is really hard to break through. But, no one, parent or child, will truly be content with this life until they live it like Jesus!
Keep livin' and learnin' for him. I'm so proud of you! Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Saab 9-7 suv reviews Pilates reformer Level 42 running http://www.latinwomen1.info Adult dvd anime dell oem windows recovery disk Mn imposter perfumes Voodoo dance mp3 Stacy darling tennis undelete nfts Cpu intel Freezer pop lyrics Clauspeter becker2c porsche boxster s book Business insurance leads retirement acronyms airborne data recovery processor http://www.access-dsl.info Honda radiators portland home theater projectors http://www.data-recovery-softwares.info/Datarecovery10.html Free movie trailer sex

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! running empty soma pill tramadol tramadol free shipping overnight chevrolet 2003 silveradotruck caps Lipitor co q-10 Symptoms of dog valium withdrawal Atomatic car washers