Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Life Comes At You Fast!

Some days are just terrible. You know those days where nothing seems to go right? Those days where you have to fight to find a reason not to just crawl back into bed and hope you wake up the next day and everything will be better. That was me today. We won our game in 12 innings despite it being the ugliest game I have ever witnessed. And nothing went right for me. Terrible day at the plate; the choke artist came right out! Nothing felt right about today. I didn't feel confident on the field; I didn't feel like being around people (Great testimony, Davey! :( ). It was just one of those days.

It's funny how God can use these kinds of days to teach us lessons, though. I sat over at Sciullo's tonight and I promise the teacher had become the student! I found myself sitting there listening to the same guy whom I had been discipling over the past few weeks tell me that we don't need any better reason to be out on the field than just the fact that Jesus died for us so that we could have life (and play this wonderful game of baseball). He told me how when David in the Bible had troubles he was confident that His God would pull him through. "David ran for his life everyday, for Gosh sakes," Sciullo told me, "You think WE have troubles in our lives? You've gotta place your entire trust in Jesus, Davey." (It's amazing to see how God has transformed his life already!)

I was amazed, stunned, dumbfounded! Sciullo, a brand new Christian, telling me, a Christian for over 12 years, that I need to place my entire trust in Jesus. It's so simple! But he is exactly right. I have two and a half seasons left of this sport that I've played my entire life, and I've been going out there everyday with the attitude of a Sanitation department worker--foul! And to think of all the things God has done on this team, yet I still act like I don't want to be out there everyday! UNBELIEVABLE!

Have you ever seen those Nationwide commercials? You know the one where the dad is swinging his son on that tire swing and he gives one giant shove on a swing occupied by a 4 year old only to find a 220 pound 16 year old come flying back in his face. WEAR IT! (check out the commercial here). Life comes at you fast, they claim. And it does. I only have a half a season with some of these guys and only 1-2 years with the rest of them. Why do I take this time I have for granted, and why do I not appreciate everyday that I'm given to play the greatest game in the world? Life's gonna come at you fast enough, Davey. Cherish the moments you have here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wise words, O Zealous One!!